Sunday

Beetroot on the menu! ;)

Last Spring, anxious to plant some of the seeds I brought home from the "Earth Day" at work (yup, I'm also part of the Environmental Team, at work..), we found an old recycling box and decided to make a small vegetable garden in the backyard!

It was a brilliant idea, but I was "almost sure" that not even half of my seeds would probably grow into anything like a real vegetable, so I decided to put lots (lots, really!) of them on the soil... No, I’m not exaggerated.. I just wanted to make sure that at least 2 or 3 would come out! O;)

After many days of watering the vegetable garden, looking at it impatient for something to happen, thinking about crazy ideas to speed up nature (no, there's no way, I found..), these tiny little leaves started popping out!! Wooooohoooo!! Excitement, happiness, photos, “Andy, Andy, come and see this!!”... And a week later they were even bigger! And bigger on the following week! Then I started realising - I had left too many seeds on the soil and they were really coming out, so I had to thin them out and give space to a reasonable number of them to grow.. :)

It was a great experience! It reminded me of when I was 5 or 6 years old and was taught about the beans growing in a small and clean jam jar, with cotton and water!

This year I tried carrots - small, round, almost sweet, perfect carrots! - and beetroot! Next year I’ll try something else! Loads of something else, of course!

I got the last few vegetables out today and here's the photo.. whatever the menu this week, it will certainly include beetroot! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Para te incentivar aqui vai um link para uma receita: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/other-recipes/surprise-pudding
    Não sei se é boa ou não, mas como é de um chef inglês que eu acho espectacular, de certeza que o resultado será bom ... experimenta e depois diz. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ola minha linda! :)) Vou experimentar sim senhora!! Hehehe.. que espectaculo.. Gosto mesmo muito das receitas dele! Tenho a certeza que vai sair uma delicia! ;) Beijinhos grandes e obrigada!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I miss your invite for supper to sample these?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steffen, they were a very humble sample, but I promise to grow more and better next year!! :)) You'll be more than welcome to pop by for dinner! :D

    ReplyDelete