Sunday

A run in the park.. or at Park Run! :)

This Saturday morning I volunteered for Park Run!

What is Park Run, right?... I’ll tell you.. It’s a fabulous event that happens every Saturday morning, in many parks, all over the UK! They organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs, all over the country! These runs are open to everyone, they’re free and easy to take part in!
 
Here in Newcastle, it happens at the Exhibition Park, near Newcastle University. It started in January 2010 with 30 people only (I learnt today). When I joined for the first time (in September 2010) it had nearly 90 people.. now we’re around 150, despite the cold, the darker days and the very tempting wish of just staying in bed, instead of running in the cold with this “fresh breeze” coming from the North Sea! ;)

I’ve been there before, as many people, to run the 5km. At the end, everyone is timed and then given a token that is scanned with the printed barcode. The results are sent by email and everyone can check how well they did, compared to previous times! It’s a great feeling to start really slowly (like me!) and then slowly improve week by week.

But today I did something different – I saw a little of the other side.. I decided it was my turn to “give something back” and volunteered to help the organisers. These people are fantastic, they really are! The energy, commitment, good humour they put into it is contagious!! They’re truly good!

It made all the sense.. I’ve always loved volunteering – years in the scouts, years at Newcastle tango, loads of times at work for specific charities, anytime I can and the opportunity comes.. so why not at Park Run too?!.. It feels good, just for the sake of seeing a big smile on all of those who are enjoying the events!

Anyone, literally of any age and experience, can join!! All you need in advance is to enjoy running (quite obviously.. ;) !!) and to register at their website, in order to get a barcode with your name on it.. Print it and you’re all set to join, any Saturday morning, on any of the parks!

Check it all at the website: http://www.parkrun.com/events/UK.aspx
It’s well worth getting out of bed, specially if the day is beautiful like today was!! Come and enjoy every minute of it!

2 comments:

  1. Hiya Christina, I'm Robert :-)

    You didn't say on your blog post what you did when you volunteered? Were you helping at the start, at the end, or doing gate-holding duties?

    If you want to do a little interview, just leave me a message on Facebook!

    Take care!

    Robert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robert!! I did registration with Claire - I scanned the bar codes and tokens at the end! It was great to see the effort and commitment the organisers put into Park Run! Truly enjoyed it. Thanks for your help as well! I'll contact you on facebook. Speak to you soon!

    ReplyDelete