Sunday

Romeo, Juliet and another fantastic evening at the theatre!

"Romeo
If I profane with my unworthiest hand/This holy shrine, the gentle sin is this:/My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand/To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.
Juliet
Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much,/Which mannerly devotion shows in this;/For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,/And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss."

Last night I went to see Romeo and Juliet at the Theatre Royal in Newcastle, by the amazing Royal Shakespeare Company!

I confess I was a little “scared” about how easy it would be to understand the old English, but it all went very well.. I did miss some words, but the body language, the actors, the story, the whole atmosphere made it so easy to engage it!

It was overwhelming, really was! The actors were simply the best I have seen in England and for 3 hours they captured my eyes, my mind and heart! It’s one of those stories where it doesn’t matter if you already know the ending, if you already know how it all goes.. it doesn’t even matter what you think of the story.. a 15th century romance, the constant switching between comedy and tragedy to heighten tension – or to make it easier, I don’t know! :)

I will definitely be looking forward to seeing the RSC acting again, anywhere I can find them! :)

3 comments:

  1. Romeo & Juliet wouldn't be my 1st choice as far as Shakespeare is concerned, however I must agree that seeing _any_ Shakespeare performed live, in the original language, must be something special.
    I for one would love to see Hamlet, Othello and A Midsummer Night's Dream.
    Until I have the opportunity I must keep going to the repeats of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, that have been on stage for something like 12 years, over here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was brilliant! And I'm specially amazed at the Royal Shakespeare Company.. I had never seen them on stage - pretty good and special, I have to admit! ;)
    Let me know if you want to come over and see the real thing here in England one day, Ricardo! :) You'd be most welcome to!

    ReplyDelete